Tuesday, September 21, 2010

trip to the clinic and back

I have a fever. A mild one. I'm feeling better already. nothing serious.

before i get into this a side note: thunder last night so loud it set car alarms off

so i go to the clinic, get checked up.

on the way there i see an old woman bathing on the sidewalk entirely naked.

we get to the clinic and they run a few tests (draw blood) which sucks. they feel the need to take out enough to fill a 4 inch syringe.

as I'm sitting in the car waiting to leave a naked 4 year old sweeps water off the top of a roof of a crumbling building. I ask Guy-ji what that kids doing as for some reason its just really bothering me, if that kid is working for someone at least give him some clothes?

guy-ji tells me he lives up there with others.

hard life.

Its been raining on and off all day. Pouring. The streets are flooded.

On the way back, Ramesh, our driver with his name tattooed in English on his forearm, grows tired of being stuck behind the cars in front of us and goes into the passing lane to get around them. However, the lane is filled with a foot or two of water and when he passes the cars he manages to spray probably close to three to four buckets worth of water onto the cars he's passing.

This wouldn't be a problem if all the "cars" he's passing weren't richshaws which have neither doors nor windows--like jeeps--except they are really low to the really ground... The cars he does pass just so happen to have their windows open...

So I watch as he literally drenches about 8-9 people including a family with an old woman in fancy traditional clothing, as well as the inside of a car or two.

The police pull us over by blocking our way and everyone swarms on us yelling in Hindi.

I don't really know any hindi but i did make out one word they yelled repeatedly, "pani", which means water..

further down the line a truck is in front of us with the back door open and two dudes are in there dead asleep.

we pass a guy standing on the sidewalk with a shirt that says "behind every successful person is a line of haters" (or something like that) with a picture of a guy giving the middle finger that resembles the cartoon character on the limp bizkit album significant other. I glance up and he notices i saw his shirt and he starts nodding with a cocky grin on his face that seems to convey, "thats wassup"

okay...

3 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear you are sick...I read this on the internet from people here who went there...perhaps some of it will help you, sure hope so. Amazing you can write even tho so sick. I love how you see things and write about it all! GiGi

    You just have to be careful with what you injest and how you injest. I carry a small container of Purel and try to both wash my hands then use that before eating. EVERY TIME. I keep my fingernails trimmed as short as I can so dirt does not collect in them. I remember never to put my fingers in my mouth or eyes without washing them first in soap and then Purell. I never eat anything that has not been boiled, peeled or cooked. I drink tea, but more often soft drinks and bottled water, directly from the bottle.
    If you get sick, drinking a lot of liquids is helpful, especially if you have diarrhea. Don't eat any dairy unless you know it's been pasteurized. n my First journey In India....I Took ORGAnic Garlic Tablets. I Swear On this Remedy!!!!
    On My second journey....I didnt take anything and I had a uneasy stomache ...Never a dysentry but always the runs...sometimes a fever...Therefore, I recmmend Organic Garlic Tablets!!!!
    Also very good product, took 1/4 teaspoon everyday for 6 months it's called Lauricidin...Best product for over all health on the market....One container will do you 6 months...
    Use hand sanitizer especially on the trains...

    ReplyDelete
  2. keep em coming man.. Awesome blog!

    ReplyDelete