Monday, September 6, 2010

Creature in my bathroom

Met home stay family today. During orientation we were told there would probably be a 9:30 curfew and that if we are caught drinking or smoking out of appropriate context we would bring shame to our families reputation. My homestay father, however, informed that his home is mine and I’m free to drink and smoke anywhere and I can come and go as I please as late as I please. I am also free to spend time in any room including he and his wife’s bedroom. I think I’m going to push the limits of this by climbing into their bed when they’re asleep to smoke a carton of cigarettes and drink a jug of whisky.

I have my own room on my own floor next to the door leading out to the roof where my bathroom is. I have three beds in my room and a closet, no AC, only fans. My bathroom is out on the roof. It has no shower, only a faucet with buckets.

I sat down on the toilet last night after leaving the bathroom door open the last time I went and quickly learned this was a mistake. Something fluttered past me when I sat down. I thought it was a moth but I quickly realized it was a bat. Great. I opened the door to let him fly out, it took him 2 minutes of sporadically fluttering a foot and a half above me to find the exit. Needless to say I won’t be leaving that door open anymore.


1 comment:

  1. I saw the pics of your room. It looks pretty nice: clean, cool floor, decent beds, and a closet is great -- Lizzie doesn't have one in her apartment in NYC! I bet you are glad you brought a pillow. It looks like you have a desk. I can see that you are on an upper floor, so am guessing that the roof is not far from your room. So a pretty good set up, except for the bat, and I'm guessing that you don't have hot water.

    ReplyDelete