Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Synchronicity

There is a resturant in the book Shantaram called "Leopolds".

Its a real place. Its pretty famous and been around since 1871 in Mumbai. Lin, the main character in Shantaram, goes there all the time and it plays a central role in the book.

I thought about going there on the way over during my bus ride but decided against it because I was like, meh, its a restaurant, no need to see it. Also, I didn't feel like figuring out where it was because the city is huge and I might as well just eat somewhere close...

I check into my hotel in Mumbai in Colaba near the ocean. I walk outside and take a stroll by the water front. I walk through several alley ways, take a couple random turns, and find myself on the main street. I'm blindly walking and looking for some food.

I see a restaurant that has a lot of people in it with some loud music and what looks like some decent western/Indian hybrid bar food. Fuck it. I'll eat here. The guy checks my bag and I take a seat.

I look down at the menu and I see the name of the place and I'm at Leopolds, the same restaurant from Shantaram...

I say to myself, "I don't really know whats going on but I think all I want is to be at peace with myself...like real peace...what am I supposed to do? I don't get how all this works.."

I finish my meal.

I walk out and a white woman at the door immediately hands me a Christian flyer that says, "Steps to peace with God"




Note to self: Concentrate on Megan Fox










3 comments:

  1. I like how your always in the moment. Sometimes when I'm reading your blogs I get this picture in my head, like your on some kind of golden magic train with a bunch of colorful people around you. It's fucking awesome man. Keep doing what you do! Don't stop till it stops. Peace and love to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jerry,
    Great story! I have been to Leopolds many times. I believe it got shot up pretty bad in the Mumbia attacks in the recent past. If you get a chance, check out the dobi ghats, outdoor laundry. It's a cool visual.
    RB

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! I was looking for places to check out. I spent 8 hours just walking around the cities bazars today, I'm going to put a write up on it in a moment.

    I'm doing a tour through the slums tomorrow and I'll check out dobi ghats after

    ReplyDelete