Stepping outside in this place is the equivalent to inhaling seven packs of cigarettes in the span of twenty minutes...
Everyone wants to shake my hand...that or they feel compelled to yell out their car windows just barely avoiding running over the woman in the yellow sari--it was worth it I'm sure...
Several people grab at me just to say hi. If I wasn't so controlled...repressed might be a better word...I might lash out...Logic prevails...I do my best to surrender to the moment at every moment...Trying to regurgitate aggression without splattering the fly covered beggars selling Santa Claus hats on the bridge overlooking the river bubbling with trash and human waste...
Dark skinned children with matted clumpy hair, torn apart clothing--some with no clothing--trail in my footsteps pushing at each other fearfully desiring to get my attention while I dodge the dog shit and sift through the shade of the banyan trees looking out at the world of the slums. Empty hope and promises from a billboard advertising the chance to study in America or Canada laughs in the faces of these kids. I keep walking.
Opportunity is never present.
Corner shops stuffed with filthy covered mechanical gears of every sort. "Hello Sir, which country you from! Ah aMMMEERRrrrriicccaAAAAA...OBAMA he very good man?!" he yells at me flashing a set of crooked, yellow stained teeth oozing with the blood-red juice from betel nut tobacco. He splats some spit off to the side and gently holds onto my hand for an uncomfortably long period of time when I was merely expecting a brief shake.
At breakfast an older man sits down with me when there are multiple tables open. He says nothing to me. He orders chai. It comes in a cup on a plate. He takes the cup, pours it into the plate, and drinks from the plate, placing it down he walks away. This is a common practice here.
Let my hair down--walk with a purpose--split the traffic, retrace my steps, playing frogger, no need not to rush. Looking for that release of tension. It'll never come.
"I laugh cause' theres nothing to say..."
As if a temple full of rats and the industrial social waste of Ahmedabad wasn't enough I'm headed to Mumbai: the source of over the top Bollywood films, slums of epic proportion, the definition of economic disparity, a lack of physical space, the frequent target of terrorist attacks and the home to general social anarchy.
Welcome home.
Hi Jerry.... thought you might want to know that I am keeping up (well trying) with your animal adventures. My pet sitting is always interesting and if you were here I'd take a photo of you and my latest pet friends as we did with the pugs. So, I will be taking your dad to do the photo deed and send it on to you. No it is not rats or camels BUT...... right here in the tiny city of Charlottesville at one house are the following critters. An out door cat who brings shrews to the house and takes all her meals outside. Two Chihuahuas, one soooo mean it will be boarded, the other a real barker but calms down after about 15 minutes and she needs me to undress her before she goes to bed each night. Then there are two ferrets, cinnamon and maple, who like to be held...we shall see. And then in the back yard are two chickens yes chickens, who have a heated coup and a heated water dish and they lay little eggs which I am allowed to have. Well, I told them about your camel ride and startling stars at 4am....I did not mention the rats. OK... I know this doesn't even come close to your monkey etc. experiences but between the two of us it startles my friends. What fun. Take care and wash your hands in the Kingfisher too. Love your writing....Hugs....G
ReplyDelete